Lionel Messi, Argentina’s star footballer and captain, was once again on fire for his country in Tuesday night’s FIFA World Cup 2022 semifinal match against Croatia. The 35-year-old initially scored from the penalty spot before assisting teenager Julian Alvarez to secure Argentina’s spot in the FIFA World Cup final.
Argentina and Croatia faced off in the first semifinal of the FIFA World Cup, which is currently taking place in Qatar. And in this epic game, which took place on Tuesday night (Wednesday IST) at the Lusail Iconic Stadium, Argentina easily defeated Croatia by a score of 3-0 to progress to the championship match for the second time in three years.
Lionel Messi opened the scoring for the South American giants in the 34th minute of the game from the penalty spot. It was his third penalty shootout goal of the World Cup, and his fifth overall. The other two goals were scored by Manchester City teenager Julian Alvarez, who now has four goals in four games for the two-time previous World Cup winners. His first goal of the game was a gem, as he scored on a spectacular solo run. The second was set up by Messi, who scored and assisted in a game for the third time this World Cup.
Must Read: US sports journalist Grant Wahl dies in Qatar: World Cup 2022
World Cup 2022: Here’s a summary of all the records Messy broke on Tuesday night
- In this year’s FIFA World Cup, no player has scored more goals (5) or provided more assists (3) than Lionel Messi. In six games, Argentina’s captain has been personally involved in eight goals.
- Messi is currently Argentina’s leading goal scorer in FIFA World Cup matches. He has now beaten previous striker Gabriel Batistuta’s 10-goal record with his 11th goal in his 25th outing.
- Messi now has eight assists for Argentina at World Cups after assisting Julian Alvarez’s second goal of the game. He has surpassed Diego Maradona’s World Cup assist total to become Argentina’s all-time leading assist provider.
- Messi played in Argentina’s 25th FIFA World Cup game against Croatia on Tuesday night (Wednesday IST). He has now equaled former Germany midfielder and 1990 World Cup winner Lothar Matthaus’ record of most World Cup appearances by starting in the XI.
- Lionel Messi has already scored 19 goals in the FIFA World Cup. He has 11 goals and eight assists this season. He has now equaled the highest goals plus assists tally for a player since 1966, which was previously set by Miroslav Klose, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Gerd Müller.
- By scoring a goal and assisting against Croatia, he became the first player since 1966 to score and assist in three different World Cup games.
- He also became the oldest player in World Cup history to score five goals in a single tournament.
- Messi is the only player in World Cup history to score and assist in four different games (since the 1966 edition). His four games in 2006 were against Serbia, Mexico, the Netherlands, and Croatia (all in 2022).
Frequently Asked Question:
How many records does Messi have?
Messi is the player with the most official recorded assists in football history, with 474 goals in La Liga, 14 in the Supercopa de Espaa, and three in the UEFA Super Cup (349).
How many goals Messi scored against Croatia?
Messi has scored twice in the three games he has played against Croatia.
Who scored more goals Messi or Ronaldo?
Cristiano Ronaldo is the all-time leading scorer in men’s international football, with 118 goals for Portugal. Argentina’s Lionel Messi ranks third on the list with 95 goals.